10 DIY Hair Toners For Smooth, Silky, Shiny Hair
You need a toner when a hair dye job goes wrong. But there is little to worry about as you can easily make a toner with kitchen ingredients. The advantage of homemade toners is that they are gentle on hair.
Why Do You Need A Hair Toner?
Using a hair toner becomes necessary when you want to change the undertone of your hair. It can correct an unwanted warm tone like orange or red. It works by removing unwanted pigments from the hair. It neutralizes the warmth of hair tone so it looks natural.
- Baking Soda Shampoo
Blue & Purple Food Color (2 drops each)
Baking Soda (1tsp)
• Get all the ingredients in a bowl and mix them well
• Apply the shampoo mixture to your hair and leave it for 5-10 minutes
• Rinse your hair well and apply conditioner
• Use this mixture once a week as it could make your hair dry
• On other days, you can use sulfate-free shampoo
Benefits: It removes the product and mineral buildup and neutralizes the warm natural tone of the hair.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Apple Cider Vinegar (4tsp)
• Add the ingredients to a bowl and mix them well
• Apply the solution to your hair and leave it for 15 minutes
• Rinse your hair with lukewarm water
• Use it only 3 times a month as overuse can lead to dry hair
Benefits: Dull hair has a higher pH visible in different tones like yellow and orange. ACV being mildly acidic can lower the pH. It also works as a cleanser.
- Hollyhock Herbal Toner
Hollyhock Herb (2tsp)
Apple Cider Vinegar (2tsp)
Water (1 cup)
• Mix the ingredients in a bowl and boil until they make a solution
• Let it cool and apply to your hair
• Leave it on your hair for 15 minutes and wash with lukewarm water
• Use a sulfate-free shampoo for washing your hair
• Use the solution only once a week
Benefits: This solution can free your hair from unwanted warm tones.
- Lemon For Toning
Lemon Juice (1/4 cup)
Water (3/4 cup)
• Pour freshly squeezed lemon juice and water into a spray bottle
• Add honey to the solution and blend them well
• Spray the honey-lemon solution on your hair
• Leave the solution for 2 hours
• Spend the first 30 minutes in the sun
• Wash your hair with a sulfate-free shampoo
• Use it only thrice a month
Benefits: Lemon is an excellent bleaching agent and honey has good humectant and emollient properties. Using this toner a couple of times can lighten your hair.
- Green Tea For Toning
Green Tea (3 bags)
Water (2 cups)
• Boil green tea in water until the water gets green color
• Apply the green tea solution to your hair for 30 minutes
• Wash it off with normal water
Benefits: Green tea is good for hair growth. Also, it makes an excellent toner as the color isn’t too strong. Depending on your needs, you can use black or oolong tea.
- Virgin Olive Oil
Virgin Olive Oil
• Take some virgin olive oil sufficient to nourish your hair
• Heat the oil and let it cool
• Massage the warm oil on your hair and scalp for an hour
• Wash the oil with a sulfate-free shampoo
Benefits: Olive oil aids hair growth, prevents hair fall, and enhances hair color.
- Indigo For Toning
Indigo Powder (1tsp)
White Conditioner (4tsp)
• Mix the ingredients well and apply the solution to your hair
• Check your hair to see whether the desired hair color is achieved
• Wash the solution with a sulfate-free shampoo once the desired color is achieved
Benefits: Indigo can enhance your hair color and make it shine. It will even wash out the brassy orange tone.
- Ash Blonde Box Dye
Ash Blonde Dye (1 box)
Gloves (1 pair)
Applicator Brush (1 piece)
• Draw the dye in a bowl and prepare it following the instructions
• Apply the dye to your hair and leave it for a specified amount of time like 30 minutes
• Wash the dye with a sulfate-free shampoo and condition your hair
Benefits: Ash-toned dye can neutralize the warm tones with cool tones.
- Purple Dye
Purple Hair Dye (1tsp)
• Draw the ingredients in a bowl and blend them well
• Apply the solution to the parts of the hair that need toning
• Leave it for 30 minutes
• Do it whenever your hair starts taking a yellow tone
Benefits: Purple being on the opposite end of the spectrum can neutralize the warm tones.
- Green Dye
Green Food Color (2-3 drops)
• Add green food color to your conditioner and apply the toner to your hair after washing your hair
• Leave the toner for 10 minutes and rinse it off with cool water
Benefits: This toner works well on brown hair or hair that is dyed brown. It will remove the orange or red tone from the dark brown hair.
Things To Know Before Using A Hair Toner
• Hair toners are mostly used on bleached and blonde hair
• Using a hair toner will make your hair look cool-toned
• It can also add dimension to your hair
• Avoid washing your hair immediately after using a toner
• Depending on our hair texture, you will need re-toning your hair every 2-8 weeks
• The more you wash your hair, the more you will feel the need to use a toner
• Protect your toned hair from direct sunlight as it could get fade
• Limit the use of hair styling products on toned hair
• Use hair masks to moisturize your hair as bleaching can leave your hair thin and dry
Using a hair toner is the right solution to change the warm undertone of your bleached hair. Also, you have the option of using a homemade toner. With a homemade toner, you can keep your hair healthy and shiny.
Disclaimer: The above information is for educational purposes only and the readers are advised to consult a professional before using a homemade hair toner.
For more information please visit our site at https://www.reviewmentor.com